To All UCSF Principal Investigators:
The following is an important announcement about charges for clinical research-related activities at UCSF:
Background: We have been working to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of clinical research billing at UCSF. It is our hope that these changes will result in a more straightforward and sustainable clinical research model for investigators and patients.
1. In Fall 2016:
- The top 500 most common research procedures and tests conducted at UCSF, and their related costs for NIH and Industry, will be available in an accessible, easy to use central location to help investigators budget for their studies. Further communications about this will be forthcoming.
- All research charges and billing related to clinical services provided at or through the Medical Center will be automatically generated from the APeX system. Clinical Research Services (CRS) charges and billing processes will remain the same.
2. As of November 1st, 2016, rates charged for procedures and clinical services related to research studies will be changing. Specifically:
- All research charges designated for billing to industry sponsors will be applied at 150% of the NIH rate, which is in line with our peer institutions.
- The Medical Center rate increases approved for July 1st, 2016 will now take effect.
- The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) rates approved for Fiscal Year 2013, and which represent our NIH rates, will now take effect.
- Research-related charges will be reviewed annually. In the event of further increases, we will work with you to incorporate them into prospective study budgets.
For any questions, contact Maria Mason ([email protected]), the Director of Research Revenue Cycle.
CFO, UCSF Health System
Associate Vice Chancellor, Clinical and Translational Research
Director, Clinical and Translational Science Institute